Transportation for America—a program of Smart Growth America—is seeking a skilled and motivated individual with knowledge, experience and interest in transportation policy development, implementation, and advocacy at the federal, state and local level.
This position reports to the Policy Director of T4America.
Candidates must demonstrate an ability to work successfully with limited supervision, independently and within a team. The Policy Associate will support T4America’s development of content in support of the organization’s policy goals and advocacy at the local, state, and federal level. These goals include local decision-making and multi-modal investment. The candidate will work in close cooperation with our national and local civic, elected, business and non-profit partners, backing them up with research, and mobilizing diverse and compelling voices.
Develop and advocate for T4America’s priorities
- Work with policymakers, advocates, members and partners to develop policies for all levels of government that implement T4America’s priorities;
- Support implementation of policies adopted through development of regulations and guidance documents as well as technical assistance; and
- Assist in developing relationships with policymakers and partners and in crafting strategy and tactics for effective advocacy.
Create and draft reports to explain why T4America’s policies are needed
- Conduct research of federal, state, and local policy and transportation systems to understand and explain the outcomes of existing policy and why change is needed;
- Draft and edit reports, like The Congestion Con and Driving Down Emissions;
- Collaborate with the T4America communications team to produce engaging content for the website and reports;
- Write memos and other content for T4America members, clients, and advocacy purposes; and
- Participate in panels, conferences and other collaborations to present T4America’s priorities and positions.
Support the membership program
- Provide support to our members and partner cities across the U.S., keeping them informed of transportation actions in Congress and the federal government as well as best practices in local policy for multimodal transportation systems and for emerging new technological innovations in mobility, from ridesharing to car-sharing to data platforms;
- Identify the local, state, and federal policymakers strategically necessary to further T4America’s policy goals;
- Build the capacity of our partners to engage with state and federal leaders on our policy agenda; and
- Participate in coordinating events with local partners engaged in promoting progressive transportation policies and transportation funding efforts.
Knowledge and skills
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of a four-year college degree and at least 3 to 5 years of related experience.
- Knowledge of transportation policy and its connection with growth patterns, housing and other infrastructure investments as well as its impact on equitable access to economic opportunity, safety, climate, public health and public spending.
- Understanding of the federal legislative and appropriations process and the ability to think strategically and work across party lines;
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability and desire to conceive of and execute advocacy strategies and topical projects, including policy research and partner outreach and involvement;
- Excellent time management and organization, research skills, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Comfortable with working in a collaborative team environment and have strong interpersonal skills; and
- Ability to complete multiple tasks with a high volume of work with minimal supervision.
- A background in public policy, transportation, planning or other related field;
- Previous experience in local, state, or federal policy as it relates to our subject matter; and,
- Experience working with diverse populations.
Compensation and location
Salary commensurate with experience and will range between $45,000-60,000. Benefits include health insurance, 401k, and paid vacation and paid sick time.
This position reports to the Director of Policy and is based in Washington, DC. SGA staff are currently working remotely on an indefinite basis due to the COVID-19 pandemic and likely to continue teleworking through at least the spring of 2021; therefore, the employee filling this position can live anywhere in the United States during the remote working period.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “T4America Policy Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you’ve learned of this opportunity.
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Smart Growth America and Transportation for America are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.