Transportation for America, a program of Smart Growth America, is seeking a skilled and motivated individual with knowledge, experience and interest in outreach and organizing around transportation policy development and implementation at the federal, state and local level. This position reports to the Outreach Director of T4America and the Policy Director of T4America.
Are you interested in transportation, transit, bicycling, walking, passenger rail, or placemaking? Do you have outreach and organizing experience for an issue-based advocacy organization or campaign? Are you eager to use your organizing skills to change federal, state and local policies in order to help reform how we spend US transportation dollars in the US?
The ideal policy & outreach associate is plugged into transportation news, is an exceptional communicator with subject matter knowledge of transportation and related issues, has something to say about how the transportation system could be more equitable and efficient, and wants to organize partners for transportation advocacy on a regular basis. They will be detail-oriented project managers who can juggle multiple competing projects, deadlines, and timelines without dropping the ball. They have firsthand experience with outreach and organizing. They are dependable team players who can perform regular duties, but also enterprising and creative self-starters who are eager to brainstorm new ideas to move the needle. Candidates must demonstrate an ability to work successfully with limited supervision, independently and within a team.
- Seek out and connect with new partners in a variety of sectors to support advocacy campaigns related to our three policy principles, and recruit new members and clients for technical assistance services.
- Manage T4America’s business-to-business membership program including recruitment and renewals, and delivering support and content to members. Manage relationships with existing members and partners.
- Manage the constituent relationship management database including recording data regarding ongoing relationships, configuring the database to record useful information, and querying lists of people to organize regarding specific advocacy issues.
- Deliver presentations and information to partners about transportation and T4America’s advocacy, technical assistance and thought leadership efforts
- Organize events that inform partners and/or give our partners opportunity to be spokespeople for shared priorities.
- Collaborate with the outreach team to help produce members-only communications, including a separate biweekly newsletter.
- Conceive of and implement advocacy campaigns (like ending the 80/20 split for highways/transit funding) and recruit partners to support those campaigns;
- Participate in developing and implementing strategy and tactics for effective advocacy;
- Work with other team members to conceive and write blog posts for T4america.org about current events, T4America’s policy priorities, and advocacy efforts. (Look over the last 3-4 pages of recent blog posts for a good sense of our regular content.)
Knowledge, skills, and experience
- A college degree and 1-2 years of related post-college experience.
- Knowledge of transportation policy and funding, awareness of how transportation funding decisions are made and by whom.
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability and desire to connect with leaders and advocates engaged in transportation policy issues for advocacy purposes.
- Knowledge of federal transportation legislative/appropriations/authorization processes.
- Some proficiency using a constituent relationship management database and with issue-based, digital advocacy. (SGA uses Salsa CRM and Engage.)
- A solid understanding of either political or issue-based organizing with firsthand experience;
- Excellent time management and organization, research skills, and verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfort working in a collaborative team environment with good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- A background in public policy, transportation, planning or other related field.
- Experience with an issue-based advocacy nonprofit organization.
- Previous experience in local, state, or federal policy as it relates to our subject matter.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
Salary commensurate with experience and will range between $35,000-50,000. The successful candidate who would be in consideration for compensation near the top of this range will have more experience and/or at least one of the skills listed as preferred above. Benefits include health insurance, 401k, and paid vacation and paid sick time.
This position is based in Washington, DC. As all Smart Growth America staff are currently working remotely on an indefinite basis due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the employee filling this position can live anywhere in the United States during the remote working period and will be given 60 days notice before being required to report to the office.
If you possess the desired qualifications, please send a cover letter, a resume that also includes a 140-character summary of what you would bring to the position, references, and 2-3 writing samples (700 words or less) to email@example.com with “T4America Policy & Outreach Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you learned of this job opportunity. Applications will be accepted immediately on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Employment
Equal opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Smart Growth America. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/ preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Smart Growth America is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
About our organization
Smart Growth America envisions a country where no matter where you live, or who you are, you can enjoy living in a place that is healthy, prosperous, and resilient. We empower communities through technical assistance, advocacy, and thought leadership to realize this vision of livable places, healthy people, and shared prosperity.
Transportation for America is a project of Smart Growth America made up of local, regional and state leaders who seek a transportation system that safely, affordably and conveniently connects people of all means and ability to jobs, services and opportunity through multiple modes of travel.
The post Now Hiring: Policy & Outreach Associate (T4America) appeared first on Transportation For America.