Transportation for America—a program of Smart Growth America—is seeking a skilled and motivated individual with knowledge, experience and interest in transportation policy development, implementation, and advocacy at the federal, state and local level. This position reports to the Policy Director of T4America.
Candidates must demonstrate an ability to work successfully with limited supervision, independently and within a team. The Policy Associate will support T4America’s development of content in support of the organization’s policy goals and advocacy at the local, state, and federal level. These goals include local decision-making, multi-modal investments, and coordinating those investments with development. The candidate will work in close cooperation with our national and local civic, elected, business and non-profit partners, backing them up with research, and mobilizing diverse and compelling voices.
- Develop and advocate for T4America’s priorities
- Work with policymakers, advocates, members and partners to develop policies for all levels of government that implement T4America’s priorities;
- Support implementation of policies adopted through development of regulations and guidance documents as well as technical assistance; and
- Assist in developing relationships with policymakers and partners and in crafting strategy and tactics for effective advocacy.
- Create and draft reports to explain why T4America’s policies are needed
- Communicate priorities
- Collaborate with the T4America communications team to produce engaging content for the website and reports;
- Write memos and other content for T4America members, clients, and advocacy purposes;
- Effectively communicate about organizational priorities, especially equity, climate and public health; and
- Participate in panels, conferences and other collaborations to present T4America’s priorities and positions.
- Support the membership program
- Provide support to our members and partner cities across the U.S., keeping them informed of transportation actions in Congress and the federal government as well as best practices in local and state policy and guidance for multimodal transportation systems, supportive land uses, plus equitable and resilient transportation infrastructure and land use development;
- Identify the local, state, and federal policymakers strategically necessary to further T4America’s policy goals;
- Build the capacity of our partners to engage with state and federal leaders on our policy agenda; and
- Participate in coordinating events with local partners engaged in promoting progressive transportation policies and transportation funding efforts.
Special knowledge and skills
- 2-3 years of experience in transportation policy;
- Understanding of and experience working in the federal legislative and appropriations process;
- The ability to think strategically and work across partisan lines;
- Excellent written and verbal skills, with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Ability and desire to conceive of and execute advocacy strategies and topical projects, including policy research and partner outreach and involvement;
- Excellent time management and organization, research skills, and verbal and written communication skills;
- Comfortable with working in a collaborative team environment and have strong interpersonal skills; and
- Ability to complete multiple tasks with a high volume of work with minimal supervision.
- A degree in public policy, transportation, planning or other related field;
- Experience working on Capitol Hill, in a state legislative body or city council.
- Understanding of the connection between transportation and growth patterns, housing and other infrastructure investments as well as its impact on equitable access to economic opportunity, safety, climate, public health and public spending;
- Previous experience in local, state, or federal agencies as it relates to our subject matter; and
- Experience working on issues of equity in transportation policy.
Salary commensurate with experience and will range from $55,000-65,000 a year. This is a full-time position with benefits, including health insurance, 401k, and paid vacation and sick leave.
Office schedule and COVID protocols
This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Policy Director for Transportation for America. SGA/T4A staff are currently working in the office at 1152 15th Street NW, Washington DC once a week, while generally working remotely the rest of the week due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We will be adding more in-person days in the near future but expect that work will remain hybrid into the long term. The specifics of that hybrid environment are currently being determined.
SGA requires employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. Other COVID protocols include social distancing for meetings and masks are encouraged, though not required.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “T4America Policy Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you’ve learned of this opportunity. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Smart Growth America and Transportation for America are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Smart Growth America is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.