Transportation for America—a program of Smart Growth America—is seeking a skilled and motivated individual with knowledge and interest in transportation policy with a focus on how it impacts equitable access to jobs and opportunity. This position reports to the Policy Director of T4America.
Candidates must demonstrate an ability to work successfully with limited supervision, independently and within a team. The Policy Associate will support T4America’s development of content supporting the organization’s policy principles and advocacy at the local, state, and federal level. The candidate will work in close cooperation with our national and local civic, elected, business and advocacy partners, mobilizing and supporting diverse and compelling voices.
- Develop and advocate for T4America’s priorities
- Work with policymakers, advocates, members and partners to develop transportation policies that support equitable access to jobs and essential services at all levels of government;
- Seek opportunities for administrative actions to ensure the equitable implementation of adopted policies, including through regulations and guidance documents as well as direct technical assistance; and
- Develop relationships with policymakers and partners and in crafting strategy and tactics for effective advocacy.
- Create and help draft reports supporting T4America’s policies
- Conduct research of transportation systems to understand and explain the inequitable outcomes of existing policy and why change is needed; and
- Draft portions of and edit reports (new and future editions) and related materials, like Dangerous by Design, The Congestion Con, Divided by Design, and Driving Down Emissions.
- Communicate priorities
- Collaborate with the T4America communications team to produce engaging content for the website and reports;
- Write memos and other content for T4America members, clients, and advocacy purposes;
- Effectively communicate on organization priorities, especially equity, climate and public health; and
- Participate in panels, conferences and other collaborations to present T4America’s priorities and reports.
- Help develop and deliver education and training content for technical assistance offerings focused on equity in transportation.
- Support outreach efforts
- Communicate to T4America members and partners about opportunities to impact transportation actions in Congress and the federal government as well as best practices in local and state policy, particularly for equitable transportation infrastructure and land use development;
- Identify the local, state, and federal policymakers strategically necessary to further T4America’s policy goals; and
- Coordinate events with local partners to promote more equitable transportation policies and transportation funding efforts.
Special knowledge and skills
- A college degree and 1-2 years of work experience.;
- The ability to think strategically and work across partisan lines;
- Excellent written, verbal and research skills;
- Ability to execute advocacy strategies and projects, including policy research and partner outreach and engagement;
- Excellent time management and the ability to complete multiple tasks with a high volume of work and minimal supervision; and
- Comfortable working in a collaborative team environment and have strong interpersonal skills.
- A degree in public policy, transportation, planning or other related field;
- Experience working on Capitol Hill, in a state legislative body or city council or previous experience in local, state, or federal transportation agencies.
- Ability to clearly articulate the connection between transportation and development, housing and other infrastructure as well as its impact on equitable access to economic opportunity; and
- Experience working on issues of equity in transportation policy.
Salary commensurate with experience and will range 52,000-65,000 a year. This is a full-time position with benefits, including health insurance, 401k, and paid vacation and sick leave.
Office schedule and COVID protocols
This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Policy Director for Transportation for America. Staff telework on Mondays and Fridays and in person in the SGA office at 1152 15th Street NW, Washington DC, on Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays.
SGA requires employees to be vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted. Other COVID protocols include social distancing for meetings and masks are encouraged, though not required.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “T4America Policy Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please indicate how you’ve learned of this opportunity. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
Smart Growth America and Transportation for America are committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.
Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
Smart Growth America is committed to building a diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from candidates of color.